- Automatic Withdrawal: Automatic withdrawal payment initiated by Johnston Water Department. (Not to be confused with online banking offered by your financial institution.) For more information or to apply for automatic withdrawal email or call 515-727-7772.
Drop-box: Available 24/7, inside the front door of Johnston City Hall.
- In person: At Johnston City Hall, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Pay stations: Payment can be made at the Johnston Hy-Vee and Johnston Price Chopper grocery stores.
Click here to read current utility rates.
Water / Sewer Service
To begin water/sewer service:
- Visit Johnston City Hall, during the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- A $75 water deposit or a letter of credit from a previous utility is required from all residents.
- If your bill is paid on time for 12 consecutive months, the deposit will be applied to your water account after the 12th consecutive month. If you are late on any payments during your first 12 months of billing, the deposit will be applied to your final bill (when you leave your residence) and the balance will be returned to you, unless the balance is less than $2.50.
Meter Reading & Billing
- Each month the water meter is automatically read by a Star Hexagram remote device, which produces a radio signal to transmit the meter reading recording your water usage.
- Meters are read between the 20th - 23rd days of the month, which may vary depending on when the weekend occurs.
- Most customers receive their utility services bill including water, sewer, stormwater, garbage and recycling on the first day of the month.
- Payment is is due on or before the 15th day of the month in which you receive the bill. If the 15th day of the month falls on a Saturday or Sunday, payment can be made on the following Monday.
- Payments received after the 15th day of the month, are considered late and a delayed payment fee will be applied.
- Utilities are billed on a monthly basis.
- Water bills are taken to the United States Post Office on the final working day of each month.